Categories: F1 News

F1 drivers fear that next Belgian GP will be the last F1 race at Spa-Francorchamps

Although the F1 calendar for 2023 has yet to be officially announced, the drivers have already indicated that they are disappointed that the Belgian GP at Spa-Francorchamps is in limbo.

The second half of the F1 season is kicking off in Spa-Francorchamps and after last year’s debacle, Belgian fans are very hungry. But there is also uncertainty about the GP of Belgium because in the catacombs it is whispered that this could be the last race on the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps.

The future of the French GP is also uncertain, but if it depends on McLaren driver Lando Norris, he would prefer to keep the Belgian GP.

My mother is from Belgium, so I am fifty percent Flemish, according to Norris. In a way it’s as much my home race as Silverstone is.

“I personally have a lot more ties to it of course and I love the track and stuff, growing up I used to go to Belgium a lot and spend a lot of time with my family.”

In the past year, a lot of work has been done on the circuit, the legendary Raidillon has been renewed, new grandstands have been built and gravel pits have been installed in other parts of the circuit. Norris indicates that he is looking forward to coming to the renewed Spa.

A few sections have been given a new asphalt layer, according to Norris. There is a new grandstand on Raidillon. I always look forward to Spa, it is one of the coolest circuits of the whole season.

Norris also wonders why Spa, a circuit with a long history, is up for discussion while other circuits that don’t are sure of their place on the calendar.

“It’s a shame,” he continued. “But it is a historic race for F1. Same as Monaco, as far as I know they don’t even pay and that track stays on the calendar, just like Monza and stuff. So I think they should always be there as long as Formula 1 exists.”

Sergio Perez and Sebastian Vettel also agree with Lando Norris that it would be a shame if Spa were to disappear from the F1 calendar.

Pierre Gasly said in Hungary that he hoped that it would only be a temporary absence.

“I personally don’t think this has anything to do with the changes or improving safety,” said the AlphaTauri rider.

“But I can’t believe that Spa will disappear from the calendar for years. It certainly deserves its place on the F1 calendar.

“Personally, it’s probably my favorite track. It’s just a great track to race on, a great track to drive. We’ll see what happens, but I believe it will stay and we’ll be going there for many years to come.”

Share
Published by
Redaction

Recent Posts

“Aston Martin has more to gain from this partnership than Fernando Alonso”

Former F1 driver Felipe Massa was also surprised by the announcement that Fernando Alonso will…

2 hours ago

Haas F1 team not rushed to give Mick Schumacher new contract: “The game is played hard”

Mick Schumacher should not hope for a new contract with the Haas F1 team during…

2 hours ago

World Cup leader Jago Geerts wins GP of Sweden in MX2, Liam Everts finishes tenth

© BELGIUMWorld Championship leader Jago Geerts (Yamaha) won the Grand Prix of Sweden on Sunday…

3 hours ago

Jean Alesi: “The fans should not criticize too much, but support Ferrari”

According to former Ferrari driver Jean Alesi, the tifosi should not be too harsh with…

4 hours ago

Italian Francesco Bagnaia drives to victory in MotoGP at Silverstone

©  APItaly's Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati) won the Great Britain Grand Prix in the MotoGP class…

5 hours ago

Otmar Szafnauer: “Even after Fernando Alonso leaves, Alpine will beat Aston Martin in 2023”

Despite Fernando Alonso's recently announced move to Aston Martin at the end of this season,…

8 hours ago

This website uses cookies.